BATAVIA, IL — The League of Women Voters of Central Kane County is hosting a hybrid forum on Thursday, February 9 featuring candidates competing in the April 4 Consolidated Election for the office of Batavia Park District Commissioner or for a seat on the Batavia School District 101 Board.
The forum will be held in person with an audience at 7 p.m. on February 9th at Batavia City Hall, 100 North Island Avenue in Batavia. The event will also be live-streamed and available for later viewing on the websites of the League of Women Voters of Central Kane County (https://my.lwv.org/illinois/central-kane-county) and the IL Voter Guide (https://illinoisvoterguide.org/).
The forum will be divided into two segments:
- Batavia Park District Commissioner
- Batavia School District 101 Board
Each candidate will be allowed a one-and-a-half-minute opening statement. Following opening statements, each candidate will have an opportunity to respond to questions submitted in advance or asked by the viewing audience. Audience members’ questions will be reviewed by a team of League members for appropriateness and then shared with the Moderator for asking. Each candidate will be permitted up to one minute for each response. At the end of a segment, each candidate will have up to one minute for a closing statement.
According to Patti Lackman, Voter Service Chair of the League of Women Voters of Central Kane County, “Our vote is our voice. Strong public participation in elections ensures that elected officials are making decisions that reflect the values and concerns of citizens. Forums such as this one are a fantastic opportunity for voters to evaluate local candidates and to ask them questions about issues impacting the community. The League of Women Voters is a non-partisan organization, never endorsing a candidate or a political party. We urge all the candidates running for these offices to embrace this opportunity to communicate with Batavia voters and share their positions and views. These forums only work when candidates show up.”
Here are some important dates to know for the upcoming April 4 Consolidated Election:
- Tuesday, February 28, 2023: 2023 Consolidated Primary Election Day
- Tuesday, March 7, 2023: Last day to register to vote
- Wednesday, March 8 – Monday, April 3, 2023: Grace Period Registration & Voting at Kane County Elections Main Office & Aurora Satellite)
- Friday, March 10 – Monday, April 3, 2023: Early Voting Period at Kane County Elections Main Office & Aurora Satellite
- Monday, March 20 – Monday, April 3, 2023: Early Voting Period at all Early Voting Polling Places
- Tuesday, April 4, 2023: Election Day
Nonpartisan information about voting in Illinois can be found at https://illinoisvoterguide.org/.